This lecture covers both an introduction to drug discovery and development and an advanced look at drug development.
Basic topics include: steps in the clinical trial process, overview of cost and timelines for discovery and development, and likelihood of success, the “new biology,” and types of drugs from the new biology.
Advanced topics include: a brief look at industry issues that will lead to new strategies, financial details of the clinical trial process, the importance of failed drugs and cost of capital, and why development costs for small biotech companies may be much less than for big pharma.
Included in the lecture:
- Three week access to online lecture and videos
- Full access to all lecture slides and materials
- Digital lecture mini-text book - The Drug Discovery and Development Process
- Lecture certificate - upon successful completion of course exam
- Access to research articles
- 10 Trends Driving the BioPharma Industry Today
- Novel Drug Approvals Over the Years
- What Is the Real Drug Development Cost for Very Small Biotech Companies
- The Rapid Rise of Biotechnology
- Big Pharma Issues and Strategy in a Single Visual
Course Run time: Approximately 45 minutes to complete the lecture plus time for handouts and optional assessment
Skill Level: Appropriate for both newcomers to the industry and those with an intermediate understanding of the life science business model
From a former student of Dr. Klotz:
"As a former student of Prof. Lynn Klotz from Harvard Extension School, I found The Business of Drug Discovery and Development online lecture series refreshing and to the point. The contents are up-to-date and easy to follow even for those not already familiar with the topics; the slides are pertinent with ample references and the narration is lucid. The downloadable materials, including a full summary of the slides, will come handy. I highly recommend the Series to anyone wanting to know more about the business of drug making."
John Chun, PhD
Each online lecture is equivalent to about 2-3 live classroom lectures.
Purchase of any lecture in this series provides several resources:
- The lecture with dozens of visuals and audios
- A mini-textbook of the lecture material, yours to download and keep
- Several handouts to supplement both the lecture and mini-textbook
- A Certificate of Completion for those who pass a simple exam on key points
The lectures feature both basic material and advanced material, depending on how deeply you wish to pursue a topic.
There are several ways to learn:
- Look and listen to get a general overview of the topic
- Study the material by stopping frequently as you go through the lecture
- Read the mini-textbook to supplement the lecture and to keep as a future reference
- Delve deeply into a topic by reading the handouts and accessing directly the Internet address references on your screen
- Arrange for an Office Hours session with the lecturer as an earlier adopter
More feedback can be found here: https://biopharmadive.schoolkeep.com/feedback